Skip to main content

SUMMARY- I'll start from the beginning...updating dates as I go.

In August 2019 my screening and then diagnostic mammogram showed some calcified clusters. They were tiny so not much they could do. They told me to come back in 6 months. I had every intention to go back in February, but we got busy and then Covid19 happened. I finally got around to the follow-up diagnostic mammo on June 25 

June 25 diagnostic mammogram--they saw TWO clusters this time

July 8 needle biopsy #1 , 2nd cluster was too small to keep trying at this time

July 15 dreaded phone call I  have non-invasive DCIS clusters, yes I have breast cancer.

July 21 (Today) I had a second needle biopsy of a second cluster they can barely see and gave up on last time--this time really really hurt as the first biopsy didn't bother me. It hurt so, reality set in, as did this moment when they handed me a pink ice pack. That biopsy was benign. :)

July 27- Met with genetic counselor and medical, surgical, and radiation oncologists. I learned that it is less than 1cm (they were wrong though) and estrogen and progesterone fed, stage 0. My treatment will make the chance of recurrence to be only about 3%. We are treating it aggressively. Many things have changed in the last 20 years. They wouldn't have found this tiny cancer then. 

Aug. 4- MRI--I freaked out and couldn't do it. Even Warriors have bad days. :/

Aug. 5- Pre-op Physical--Also genetics came back negative for cancer genes!!!

Aug. 6- MRI take two!! I made it. So much more comfy than last time. Avitan for the win.  Unfortunately they saw another cyst. 

Aug. 11- Ultrasound and another biopsy. Third biopsy seemed to be benign, or so the Dr. thought. She was wrong and I found out it was also DCIS the morning of surgery. 

Aug. 12-Covid Test --It is negative! 

Aug. 14-Radioactive seed placement and Lumpectomy- I found out about the second cluster of DCIS and had two seed placements and two lumpectomies, all on the right. 

Aug. 25- Follow-up appointment-Margins are clear!! 

Sept. 1- Appt. with medical oncologist- No chemo needed!! 

Sept. 8- Follow up appointment with surgical oncologist -Everything looks fine, see you in 4 months! 

Sept. 16- Radiation consultation & CT simulation 

Sept. 23-Begin radiation (whole breast)/CANCELLED system breakdown, security issue :'( 

Sept. 29-Begin daily radiation for real this time. 

Oct. 14- CT simulation (in order to figure out the target area for the last week of radiation) 


Oct. 21- Back to work! 

Nov. 17 - Follow up with medical oncologist. Begin Tamoxifin for the next 5 years! See you in 3 to 4 months. 

Nov. 18- Follow up with radiation oncologist via telehealth. Everything sounds good. See you in 6 months. You will get your yearly mammograms in June and back to yearly obgyn appointments as well.

Jan. 21, 2021--Follow up with surgeon oncologist. Everything is good. See you in July for a mammogram followed by a visit. Dr. is retiring. I will meet my new oncologist. Also my chance of reoccurence is 3%. The average women is 12%, so there is that.  

Feb. 23, 2021--Follow up with medical oncologist. He didn't have much to say. I guess that is good news. 

May 19, 2021--Follow up with radiation oncologist. Everything looks good. See you in a year! 

July 16, 2021--One year mammogram with surgical oncologist. All clear!!  I am relieved. One year PTSD was setting in. Who knew 2021 would be my year? 


Sometime in Nov. 2021--Follow up with APRN. She didn't check much of anything. Confused why I was there.  One year of tamoxifen done! 

March 1-2022- Follow up with medical oncologist. No changes. Expensive 3 months visits IMO.  Wondering when this ends. 












Comments

  1. I am so sorry that you are going through this. You have been tested so much in the past, and now you are asked again to square your shoulders and meet this head on. You have my love and prayers. Keep sharing. You are doing so much good by talking about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I hope your follow up goes well. I'll be looking for an update! Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment